Categories



Monday, February 05, 2007

The 1L Diaries: Scott

This entry in The 1L Diaries was written by my classmate Scott, who also started law school in the summer of 2005.

About this time last year, I was revving up for the start of Law School. I had no idea what to expect. I knew that, after not doing as much work as I could or probably should have done while I was in undergrad, that I was in for some real studying for the first time in my life. I also knew the professors were going to be tough, but brilliant, and my fellow students were going to have a wealth of life experiences to share with me and the rest of the class.

A year later, I look back, and am amazed at how everything (and everybody) exceeded my expectations. Starting law school in the summer (and if any potential University of Michigan law applicants are reading this, trust me when I say this) was one of the best two or three decisions I have ever made in my life. I cannot imagine starting law school any other way, and it has made this past year so much better than I ever thought it would be. Having the law school all to ourselves and having Clark and Omri, two great professors, and just a great group of people to start off class with, there is not a better way to start law school. And I was right, I did more work than I ever had before, but I had never had such a good time doing it (well, most of it). And I can't help but think that it was because of the people that shared this experience with me.

And that's what I'm going to remember from this year. I surely don't remember what UCC §2-209 is (or even if it exists) or quite figured out why Pierson v. Post is so important to the American legal landscape, but I do remember watching LOST in between Civil Procedure and Crim Law. And I remember watching a great season of 24, and poker nights, having a Fantasy Football draft in the basement of the Law Quad, heading to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the Pistons, Friday afternoon basketball during the summer, and sitting at our table in the Lawyers Club, making sure to protect it from any non-summer starters that thought they could take a chair away.

Back at home for a few weeks now, working for the summer, having a bit more time to relax, more time to read for pleasure (already read a whole book, more than I did all of the school year, sadly, including vacations), and a bigger TV to watch my numerous TV shows, DVDs, and sporting events on, it is nice to be home. But, at the same time, I miss it. I miss the Law Quad. I miss the people. And I can't wait to get back.

Return to The 1L Diaries index

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home